Glucosamine, an amino monosaccharide, produced by hydrolysis of chitin/chitosan by hydrochloric acid. ICAR-CIFT has developed process for preparation of glucosamine from the shells of shrimp, prawn and crab, Glucosamine hydrochloride is a high value nutraceutical product which has got many therapeutic uses including anti-arthritis and is an approved food supplement.
* Grind chitosan.
* Hydrolyze with concentrated Hydrochloric acid at 90oC for approximately 75 minutes.
* Dilute the resultant black material with distilled water.
* Decolourise with activated charcoal.
* Evaporate the solution obtained completely.
* Add ethnol and wash.
* Filter the solution and evaporate at 45oC to recover glucosamine hydrochloride.